Thursday, December 2, 2010

Nov 26 - Rainforest Rainstick

Rainforest Rainstick


Materials: long cardboard tube, tape, beans or popcorn kernels or rice, aluminum foil or push pins, paints or decorated paper

Instructions: (2 versions)
Version 1:
• Cover one end of tube with cardboard and tape
• Fill tube with beans or kernels or rice
• Cover open end of tube with cardboard and tape
• Carefully insert push pins into tube at random intervals
• Decorate as desired

Difficulty: Medium
Timeframe: Short – Medium

Version 2:
• Cover one end of tube with cardboard and tape
• Twist aluminum foil into one long thick piece, then spiral and place in tube
• Fill tube with beans or kernels or rice
• Cover open end of tube with cardboard and tape
• Decorate as desired

Difficulty: Easy
Timeframe: Short

To play: Slowly tip over rainstick to create the sound of rain.

----------------------------------------


I made a Rainforest Rainstick with instructions version 2. I used a cylindrical cardboard tube that posters are shipped in, aluminum foil, and rice. I twisted the aluminum foil so that the rice passing by it would hit it producing a light rain affect when turned upside down. I decided on this design because I wanted to make a rainforest without having to buy nails. A classmate told me she had made a rainstick using aluminum foil, so I also decided to try this method. I think it's a suitable method and makes a nice sound. If I had time, I would have liked to experiment with other ingredients to make the sound of rain other than rice. I think hard pasta might have a nice sound.




I was going to paint my rainstick with my acrylic paints, but instead decided I wanted to see what kids thought of the rainforest. I brought my rainstick to the daycare centre that I work at and asked students to help me with my homework. I asked if they could help me draw anything that had to do with the rainforest. My daycare centre cares for children from kindergarten to grade 6, so I got a lot of different drawings and feedback. The children drew rain drops, trees, monkeys, clouds, sunshine, fruit, vines, flowers and birds. I enjoyed discussing with them what colours they think would be in the rainforest, and where rainforests are. We all decided it would be fun to visit a rainforest one day.

The supervisor at the daycare has said that I will be allowed to lead a craft activity next semester. I am very excited about this prospect as I now have plenty of ideas in mind!

No comments:

Post a Comment